|"Hoppity Hoppity Hop" said the kangaroo as he bounded onto my plate.
||[Dec. 12th, 2008|01:32 pm]
Reasons that I am a vegetarian:|
- Environmental concerns about mass raising of animals. Keeping hoofed animals causes erosion, as does mass grazing. The raising of livestock is a large contributor to Australia's methane emissions. A lot of water is also needed.
- Concerns about the quality of life of animals, and the manner of their killing.
- Concerns about the number of animals killed vs the number of animals that actually end up consumed. You should only kill what is going to be eaten, otherwise it is pointless death.
With these considerations in mind, I had my first meat meal in 7 years: Kangaroo steak.
- They are native and soft-footed which means they have a minimal impact on the land.
- Kangaroos are hunted and must be killed quickly with a clean head-shot, which eliminates concerns about their treatment.
- There is a legal limit to kangaroo killing each year.
- IT IS YUMMY
- I have been worrying about my health, but wasn't willing to give up my ethical stance. Now I don't have to.
So from now on, it's one kangaroo meal a week for me.